2. Maintain Your Property.
Whether you’re on vacation, gone to the cottage for the weekend or working late hours at the office, you need to keep up with the maintenance of your home. Yards with overgrown grass and stacks of newspapers are a green light for burglars because they assume you’re not at home. If you go away on vacation or become bogged down at work, ask a neighbour or pay a trustworthy teenager in your area to keep your lawn maintained.
Some other things to consider if you are gone:
1. Uncollected mail in mailbox
2. Lights off for an extended period of time
3. Closed curtains
4. Open or unlocked windows or doors
5. Boxes of high-priced items
6. Valuables placed near windows and visible to outsiders
Trust us; it will be worth it in the end.